Dreaming of flying Business Class? Frequently asked questions
1) Who is eligible to submit an online upgrade bid?
To be eligible to submit an online upgrade bid, you should have:
booked your flight at least 3 days prior to departure.
a confirmed SriLankan Airlines Economy class ticket.
2) When does a flight become eligible for an online upgrade?
Online upgrade is possible when there are seats available in Business Class.
3) How does the online upgrade work?
If your flight is eligible for an online upgrade and you have entered your email
address in the booking, you will receive a notification email 10 days prior to
departure indicating the availability of seats in the next higher cabin.
If you wish to upgrade, click on the Upgrade Now link from the email, which will
direct you to your upgrade page.
You can then choose the amount you are willing to pay, enter your credit card
details and submit. * Please note the amount you bid will be per passenger per segment and will be
in addition to the amount you have already paid for your economy class ticket.
The amount will be deducted from your card only if the offer has been successful
and it will include all applicable pre-payable taxes and fees (if any) for the
If your offer has not been successful, no amount will be deducted from your
Alternately, you can go to the Upgrade page on our website and click the
upgrade link and complete the bidding process.
4) Are all my flights eligible for an upgrade?
You have to submit a separate bid for each sector you are travelling and not all sectors will be eligible for the upgrade.
You can choose to place a bid for the segment/s you wish to be upgraded on.
If you opt not to make an offer on a particular segment of your journey, please move
the offer slider for that segment to NO OFFER.
* Note that if this is not done, the system considers that a valid offer has been made.
5) Can I offer different amounts for the upgrade for each segment of my journey?
Yes, you can offer different amounts for each eligible segment.
6) What will happen if I have made an offer and not been successful?
If your offer has been unsuccessful, then you will receive an email informing the same no later than 24
hours prior to departure and you can travel with your existing ticket
7) I received an email informing that my offer has been unsuccessful; can I make an offer
again for an upgrade?
No, if your offer has been unsuccessful you are not eligible to make a new offer.
But you can try to upgrade yourself at the airport by paying the applicable
surcharge depending on the availability of business class seats.
8) Can I change my offer for a higher or lower amount?
Yes, you can change the amount you have offered for an upgrade until 36hrs prior to departure. All you
need to do to change your offer is to click on Upgrade Now link from your email.
9) I cancelled my original offer, but now I would like to make a new offer. How can I do this?
Once you have cancelled your offer, you can make another offer via the upgrade now
link on SriLankan Airlines website.
10) I want to change the credit card used for the offer. How can I do this?
can cancel the current offer and resubmit offer with the new credit card details.
11) Will I earn Flysmiles Miles for an online upgrade?
Yes you will earn Miles for the upgrade in keeping with the normal Flysmiles accrual guidelines.
12) Are there only certain destinations that the upgrade is applicable for?
Your eligibility to upgrade is not restricted to any destination; it depends on the number of seats
available on each flight.
13) What fare rules apply for the upgrade ticket?
The same rules apply as the original fare purchased, including change fees and cancellation penalties.
14) Would you be sending me a confirmation SMS in the event my offer is successful?
No, you will only receive a confirmation email. The confirmation or rejection notification
will be sent to the passenger via email between 35 and 24hrs prior to departure.
15) By mistake I clicked OK for this offer as I didn't know I will be charged. Can I cancel my
Please go to the Srilankan Airlines website where you made the bid, retrieve your details and
cancel the bid.
16) I’m unable to place a bid due to an error.
The below are some of the most common reasons for an error to occur. If your error
is not one of the below reasons, please contact our call center for further assistance.
If there is an infant travelling on the PNR, you are not eligible to submit a bid.
If your flight departure is within 36 hours, you are not eligible to submit a bid.
17) The system has charged 1 $ from my card.
The system does a USD 1 authorization on the credit card at the time of submitting the
bid to ensure that it is a valid credit card. It should be refunded to your account within a
18) How do we avoid one of us being upgraded and the other not?
If passengers are in same Booking (PNR) and have submitted a bid for both
passengers, then if seats are available, both will be upgraded together or no one will
However if passengers are in two separate PNRs, and both have submitted bids then
depending on seat availability sometimes only one passenger may be upgraded.
19) I have received a mail regarding a rejection, therefore I checked with my card issuing
bank and sorted things out, what is the status of my bid?
The confirmation or rejection notification will be sent to the passenger via email between 35
and 24hrs prior to departure.
20) I have received a mail regarding a rejection and I have updated new card details, what
is the latest status of my bid?
The confirmation or rejection notification will be sent to the passenger via email
between 35 and 24hrs prior to departure.
21) When will I get charged?
If your offer is accepted, you'll be billed for the upgrade. If not, you pay nothing and
keep the seat you already have. Please note that no further confirmation will be sought
after making the bid.